Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
Cc: postgresql advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date: 2004-06-03 20:18:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> BTW: is there anything working yet in this direction ?
> I know several "userland" implementations (w/ triggers), and I also
> doing symetric (masterless) replication in my middleware framework,
> but when will pgsql be able to do it by itself ?

There is only one production and shipping replication that does not
require triggers that I know of and that is ours (Command Prompt).
It is also not a userland app but actually part of the PostgreSQL engine.

There is also ERServer which was first (?) but it tends to be a bit
of a beast to maintain.

There is Slony-I which is showing promise but is a Trigger based option.

Others include Peer Direct (Which I believe is query based) and
PgCluster which is query based.

Each solution has pro's and cons. Slony-I for example appears to be
better when doing mass updates or deletes than Replicator.

On the argument of significant features for 7.5:

Win32 Native
PITR
Nested Transactions
Background Writer....

> And when will probably load balancing come ?
>
> hmm, which commerical RDBMS (beside oracle) provide this already ?
>
> <snip>
>
>>You can be dead certain that a Windows port will not be sufficient
>>reason to call it 8.0. Perhaps 6.6.6 would the right starting version
>>number for that one ;-)
>
> *rofl*
>
> cu

Attachment Content-Type Size