Re: v3 protocol & string encoding

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v3 protocol & string encoding
Date: 2004-05-30 22:23:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
>
>>1) What encoding is used for strings sent and received during the
>>startup phase?
>

> The startup packet itself will not get any encoding conversion AFAIR,
> so one way to look at it is that the data therein must be in server
> encoding.  In practice, there are no strings therein that really need
> conversion anyway.  (If you use characters outside 7-bit-ASCII for user
> or database names, you're going to have much worse problems than just
> this one.)

The encoding of user & database names was my main concern. If they can
only be 7-bit ASCII in practice, that's easy..

>>2) At what point in the stream does a client_encoding change take effect
>>-- immediately after the corresponding ParameterStatus message, or at
>>some other point?
>

> ParameterStatus is sent when the change is made.

Are the strings in the ParameterStatus encoded with the old or new
client_encoding? I need to know the point in the stream to switch
encodings. I suppose this is only an issue if there are pairs of
encodings where "client_encoding" or the encoding names encode
differently in the two encodings. Is it safe to assume that 7-bit ASCII
is always encoded unchanged regardless of the encoding in use?

-O