Re: Link errors on win32

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Link errors on win32
Date: 2004-05-28 18:44:05
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>

>>"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>>

>>>This looks like it's missing stuff from Bruces move from
>>>backend/port/win32 to port/kill.c of the kill signal. Are you sure you
>>>pulled a new version of the port directory as well? And did you do a
>>>"make clean"?
>>>

>>I did a make clean. But it encountered an error and terminated prematurely
>>and I missed it...
>>
>>make[2]: Entering directory `/ws/pgsql/contrib/earthdistance'
>>make[2]: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/ws/pgsql/contrib/earthdistance'
>>make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/ws/pgsql/contrib'
>>make: *** [clean] Error 2
>>
>>Anyway, I removed everything and downloaded a new fresh version, reapplied
>>my patch for postmaster.c, and recompiled. Everything links ok now.
>>

>I did a gmake clean and gmake distclean from the top of CVS and it
>worked fine for me.

I've encountered this before. You have to do a make that fails first,
then a make clean. On occation, the latter will fail. I'm not shure
exactly when or why this happens. My theory is that the make clean
assumes that some directories have been created when in fact they have
not since the original make failed prematurely.

- thomas