Re: have you seen this?

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you seen this?
Date: 2004-05-28 06:36:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hi!

Neil Conway wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest doing the same things in technical perspective:
>> why implementing the functionality on client side is *bad*, length of
>> MySQL's release cycles, creating some "switching" stories, this kind
>> of stuff.
>

> I am opposed to "advocating PostgreSQL" in this manner (regardless of
> how effective it may or may not be). Promoting PostgreSQL ought to be
> centered on explaining why PostgreSQL is a good DBMS, not trash-talking
> the competition.

And that is the problem with PostgreSQL advocacy effort: they explain why their
product is *good*, while everyone else explains why their product is *better*.

See my point?

> We should have faith that our users are capable of
> evaluating their database options and choosing the one that suites their
> needs best (which may or may not be PostgreSQL; I think Josh's point
> that SQLLite / MySQL are adequate for many people is a good one).

I am not suggesting forcing PostgreSQL down the throats, either. I am speaking
of people who may benefit from the switch (e.g. people who right *now* are
considering switch to MySQL 4.1 or even 5.0), but need some *additional* push in
the right direction.