Re: Database Size Limiting

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Database Size Limiting
Date: 2004-05-27 19:22:57
Lists: pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You could use Filsystem quotas but I strongly suggest against it as it
> will probably bring about database corruption.

Ah - manual reference
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/disk-full.html

"24.2. Disk Full Failure

The most important disk monitoring task of a database administrator is
to make sure the disk doesn't grow full. A filled data disk may result
in subsequent corruption of database indexes, but not of the tables
themselves. If the WAL files are on the same disk (as is the case for a
default configuration) then a filled disk during database initialization
may result in corrupted or incomplete WAL files. This failure condition
is detected and the database server will refuse to start up. "

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd