Re: Clustering Postgres

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Kris Kiger <kris(at)musicrebellion(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clustering Postgres
Date: 2004-05-27 19:17:55
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Here's the basics basically because I ran out of time and budget to
actually purchase it but here's what I know.

1 day to install. Installed RedHat ES 3.0 from scratch, and the
PolyServe process took perhaps 1.5 hours to install including a
kernel build and system reboot. Roughly 2 hours into PolyServe I
had my first psfs (shared cluster) partition setup on my 1Gb SAN.

Just doing a basic dd to write 1.5GB and 5GB to an ext3 on the
same hardware produced roughly 115 MB/s and 107 MB/s respectively.
It's my understand that PostgreSQL won't create files largers than
2GB though.

Doing the same tests on the PolyServe file system (psfs) accomplished
the tasks in 117 MB/s and 109 MB/s, just slightly faster.

If you're familiar with Veritas Cluster Server it operates similiar
to it though I didn't have a chance to fully test it.

Given the budget I'd definitely take another look at it.

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg
Product Development Manager