Re: have you seen this?

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you seen this?
Date: 2004-05-27 19:39:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 27 May 2004 at 15:28, Neil Conway wrote:

> Alexey Borzov wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest doing the same things in technical perspective: why
> > implementing the functionality on client side is *bad*, length of
> > MySQL's release cycles, creating some "switching" stories, this kind of
> > stuff.
>
> I am opposed to "advocating PostgreSQL" in this manner (regardless
> of how effective it may or may not be). Promoting PostgreSQL ought
> to be centered on explaining why PostgreSQL is a good DBMS, not
> trash-talking the competition.

Neil is not alone in this position. If we can't stand on our merits,
we should pack up and go home.

> We should have faith that our users
> are capable of evaluating their database options and choosing the
> one that suites their needs best (which may or may not be
> PostgreSQL; I think Josh's point that SQLLite / MySQL are adequate
> for many people is a good one).

I have no problem directing people to the right tool for the job.
Sometimes that tool is PostgreSQL. Sometimes it is not. PostgreSQL
cannot please everyone all the time.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/