Re: BUG #1156: Database is not initializing

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Mr sangameswar m <sangameswarm(at)yahoo(dot)com>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1156: Database is not initializing
Date: 2004-05-26 16:18:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Please cc: the pgsql-bugs mailing list as well as myself

Mr sangameswar m wrote:
> Hello sir,
>         Whenever i attempt to login
> with already created database by entering the command
> ./psql student then it showing the error as i had
> specifed in my earlier mail. Even it is not getting
> login when i enter the command
> ./psql
> The error is same in the both cases

The error message says that it has problems with the pg_hba.conf file
and you should look in your logs. So, to repeat:
>>  1. What does the log show?
>>  2. Where is your pg_hba.conf file?
>>  3. Does it contain any errors?

You should have a log file called /var/log/postgresql or /var/log/pgsql
(or similar). That log file should contain lines indicating the details
of the problem.

You should have a pg_hba.conf file, probably in /var/lib/pgsql/... or
/etc. What does this contain?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Vic RickerDate: 2004-05-26 17:57:37