Re: Timeouts on big queries with JDBC?

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: ian(at)stillsecure(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timeouts on big queries with JDBC?
Date: 2004-05-21 07:54:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ian S. Nelson wrote:
> I'm doing some huge queries with a cursor and JDBC on Postgresql
> 7.4.2 It has been working pretty well so far but I've ramped my data
> set up a bit and now I get these exceptions when iterating through the
> results set:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection is closed. Operation is
> not permitted.
>

> Is this a time out problem? Something else? There is about 10million
> rows in the table I'm querying.

Unless you're seeing other errors (check the server logs too) before the
quoted exception, this doesn't look like a timeout problem. Rather, it
looks like you're trying to use a resultset after the connection that
created it was closed. The JDBC spec doesn't let you do this -- check
your application code.

-O