Re: libpq and libecpg problems on MacOs-X (Panther/10.3.3)

From: Benjamin Reed <ranger(at)befunk(dot)com>
To: Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard(at)brainstorm(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq and libecpg problems on MacOs-X (Panther/10.3.3)
Date: 2004-05-20 13:25:20
Lists: pgsql-ports
Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> I attach a patch which fixes this for MacOS-X 10.3.3, by altering the
> makefiles to understand the two ways of building a library/bundle and
> having a variable setting 'BUNDLE=no' to day that the normal dynamic
> library should be built rather than a bundle.  The patch alters the
> libecpg and libpq makefiles to set this variable, so these two are built
> as normal dynamic libraries, while the other code continues to be built
> as bundles.

This is essentially doing the same thing as patch I'd sent back in the
day that (I thought) was going to get into the next release, but I'd
never had a chance to follow up on it.

(What I think is) the original thread is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-01/msg00005.php

...my patch isn't at the link given anymore, but the latest version of
it is here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/fink/dists/10.3/unstable/crypto/finkinfo/postgresql-ssl.patch?rev=HEAD

The current behavior *is* broken; things work only because everything
ends up linking statically against the .a's, and the bundles are
basically dead weight.

--
Benjamin Reed, a.k.a. RangerRick
ranger(at)befunk(dot)com / http://ranger.befunk.com/