Re: DB Design

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: "Michael Ryan S(dot) Puncia" <mpuncia(at)census(dot)gov(dot)ph>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Design
Date: 2004-05-20 09:28:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

The complete answer is probably "it depends", but this does not help
much...:-)

I would try out the simple approach first (i.e one 50 million row
table), but read up about :

i) partial indexes and maybe
ii) clustering
iii) think about presorting the data before loading to place "likely to
be accessed" rows "close" together in the table (if possible).
iv) get to know the analyze, explain, explain analyze commands....

Best wishes

Mark