Re: Function valid only for one table

From: Martin Knipper <knipper(at)mk-os(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function valid only for one table
Date: 2004-05-19 17:09:35
Lists: pgsql-sql
Am 19.05.2004 18:33 schrieb Richard Huxton:
> Martin Knipper wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>is it possible to define a function that is only valid in a context
>>of one table ?
>>
>>For Example:
>>
>>select someFunction() from someTable;
>>-> OK
>>
>>select someFunction() from anotherTable;
>>-> Error: someFunction unkown
>

> Um, no. What do you want someFunction() to do?

I thought about a mixture of object orientation and a normal table
for a relational database.
someFunction() is a method for the object/table someTable.

Since AFAIK postgres doesn't support calling methods of types or
objects I thought about a workaround. That's why is ask the above
question.

By the way, does anyone know if there is something like a standard
for object relational databases ? An URL would be nice.

Thanks and Greetings,
Martin