Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options

From: Bjoern Metzdorf <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Pgsql-Admin (E-mail)" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options
Date: 2004-05-11 21:11:12
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-performance
scott.marlowe wrote:
>>Next drives I'll buy will certainly be 15k scsi drives.
>
> Better to buy more 10k drives than fewer 15k drives.  Other than slightly
> faster select times, the 15ks aren't really any faster.

Good to know. I'll remember that.

>>In peak times we can get up to 700-800 connections at the same time.
>>There are quite some updates involved, without having exact numbers I'll
>>think that we have about 70% selects and 30% updates/inserts.
>
> Wow, a lot of writes then.

Yes, it certainly could also be only 15-20% updates/inserts, but this is
also not negligible.

> Sure, adaptec makes one, so does lsi megaraid.  Dell resells both of
> these, the PERC3DI and the PERC3DC are adaptec, then lsi in that order, I
> believe.  We run the lsi megaraid with 64 megs battery backed cache.

The LSI sounds good.

> Intel also makes one, but I've heard nothing about it.

It could well be the ICP Vortex one, ICP was bought by Intel some time ago..

> I haven't directly tested anything but the adaptec and the lsi megaraid.
> Here at work we've had massive issues trying to get the adaptec cards
> configured and installed on, while the megaraid was a snap.  Installed RH,
> installed the dkms rpm, installed the dkms enabled megaraid driver and
> rebooted.  Literally, that's all it took.

I didn't hear anything about dkms for debian, so I will be hand-patching
as usual :)

Regards,
Bjoern