Re: hello

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hello
Date: 2004-05-11 11:08:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
I don't know about any problems with large result sets. Of course
there's some delay until the server has done selecting the whole table
(or the filtered subset), but since the data is *not* transferred until
needed there's no space or data delivery problem.
Not to speak of the *human* problem handling such large data sets.

>>  I am very
>>familiar with this problem and have dealt with it myself in
>>various projects.  IIRC a cursor based solution was marked
>>'controversial' in the TODO list...is this still the case?
>>(I'm grabbing the latest sources right now).  I've been
>>wanting to learn the wxWindows toolkit for a while now and
>>this seems a good place to start. :)
>>

>Hi Merlin, good to have you aboard :-)
>
>Yes, the cursor based *query tool* is marked as controversial. Andreas &
>I have always had a differing of opinion over what it's true purpose is
>(and I don't think either of us are actually wrong if you know what I
>mean). Iirc, Andreas' main objection to using cursors is that he likes
>to use the query tool to refine queries, and if it's using cursors he
>can't properly assess the speed gains of one query over another.
>
>That argument doesn't apply to the view data tool though - I see no
>reason why that cannot be made cursor based. If you're working on it
>anyway, the ability to copy/paste 1 or more rows both back into the
>table and into external spreadsheets etc. would be nice!! <grin>

Yes, copy/paste of rows from view data (and query tool as well) would be
helpful and is one of the most often requested features.

Regards,
Andreas