Re: problem trying to su - postgres

From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu(dot)popescu(at)aldratech(dot)com>
To: Neil(dot)Thompson(at)shepway(dot)gov(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem trying to su - postgres
Date: 2004-05-07 09:29:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Neil(dot)Thompson(at)shepway(dot)gov(dot)uk wrote:
| I'm a newbie to all things linux and have the following problem
| running red hat linux 9 i log into my pc, change to su - and type the
| password, all is ok and i get root(at)localhost <mailto:root(at)localhost>
| I'm trying now to configure postgresql, which i installed with linux and
| it says to su - postgres, i do this but instead of getting
| postgres(at)localhost <mailto:postgres(at)localhost> i get -bash-2.05b$ , is
| this right? or do i need to reinstall something / update something?

It is correct. You can also do a "whoami":
[postgres(at)rpopescu postgres]$ whoami
[root(at)rpopescu root]# whoami
The prompt setting may be different on you machine.

| Using the graphical interface i've tried to add postgres as a user as it
| doesnt show, but it says user postgres already exists.

You don't specify how you've installed postgresql. On redhats you can get it
from the installation disks. It's an older version that the current, obviously,
but it looks like you're trying to get started with it, and therefore it should
do. So your best bet is to try to install it from the RPMs, since it's easier
than compiling it from source (not that that would be a killer or anything, but
not something a newbie should be doing from day one imho).
So step back, take a deep breath, run as root
rpm -qa | grep postgres
and if that comes up with 3-5 packages, you're almost done. If not, mount the
cdroms and install postgresql from there (rpm -i postgresql-*.rpm).
Have you checked the docs on the main website yet ?

| An help would be greatfully received.
| Thanks
| *Neil Thompson
| Analyst/Programmer*