Re: Postgres Optimization: IO and Data Organization

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Optimization: IO and Data Organization
Date: 2004-05-06 08:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Doug McNaught wrote:

> james(at)unifiedmind(dot)com (James Thornton) writes:

>>Is Postgres always one process per client, or can it spawn additional
>>processes to parallelise some operations such as a nested loops join
>>operation?
>

> One process per client connection. Right now there is no spawning of
> additional "worker" processes.

I don't tink you'll see in the near future pre forked process, there was
a discussion about this and the result was a "no way" to do it,
basically because a process during is own boostrap process need to know
the DB name and also because the fork is not so expensive after all.

Please, don't consider optimization that other DBMS are performing will
be good also for postgres, I think Oracle made pre forking of a pool of
process and this because a Oracle process when is forked do more work
then a postmaster.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola