Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items
Date: 2004-05-05 16:38:31
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Do we still want this TODO?
>
> o Allow columns to be reordered using ALTER ... POSITION i col1 [,col2];
> have SELECT * and INSERT honor such ordering
>
> I don't think so. As I remember it was part of doing logical attribute
> numbers as a way to add ALTER COLUMN TYPE, but because we now use table
> recreate to implement this, it is unlikely we will ever add logical
> attribute numbers (adds too much complexity to the code).

Well, I manage a DB that is up and running 24/24 7/7 since 3 years now,
the only off working time was during the engine update.

At the beginning with few hundred record on each table, in order to add
a column in the desidered position I was performing the recreation table
adventure with the pain to reconstruct all views depending on it ( at
that time postgres didn't even had any dependencies information ), and
all foreign key refering the table.

Now with milion of record this is not feseable. What we do now is add,
in the development DB, the column at the end of the table, this just to
have the table in production and in the development environment with the
same definition.

I think that have a way to reorder the column inside a table definition
could save us some pains.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola