Re: win32 build and test issues

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 build and test issues
Date: 2004-04-30 15:00:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>>The regression tests themselves seem to fail for the most
>>>part in every configuration I have tried. The problem seems to be
>>>mostly
>>>

>>buffering
>>

>>>issues - error messages appear out of order from what is expected. I
>>>have not made sure what passes if we ignore that issue.
>>>

>>It is a MingW problem. Appears like there is not much we can do about
>>it. Refer to
>>http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html for
>>details on how to test outside of Ming.
>>

>I am not giving up on it yet. I have a couple of ideas I'm going to try.
>Telling people they have to run the tests under cygwin is just horrible.

The following near the start of psql gets rid of the "errors out of
order" problem:

#ifdef WIN32
setvbuf(stderr,NULL,_IONBF,0);
#endif

Of course, this is the Unix default, and should be for Windows, too, but
it's small compared with the other things that have been overcome.

I'm chasing down the other stuff - I suspect the extra lines might have
some relation to binary/text mode for files.

I'm also thinking of creating a simple commandline interface for pqkill
that can be used to make a clean shutdown.

cheers

andrew