Re: planner/optimizer question

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: planner/optimizer question
Date: 2004-04-29 19:23:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I guess the real question is, why maintain index flags and not simply
> drop the index entry altogether?
>
> A more interesting case would be to have the backend process record
> index tuples that it would invalidate (if committed), then on commit
> send that list to a garbage collection process.
>
> It's still vacuum -- just the reaction time for it would be much
> quicker.

This was my original question.

I guess the problem is with MVCC. The row may have gone from your
current view of the table but not from someone elses. I don't (yet)
understand the way it works to say for sure, but I still think it is worth
pursuing further for someone who does know the deep stuff. They seem
to have concluded that it is not worth it however.

Cheers,
Gary.