Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Date: 2004-04-29 19:14:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:09, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> Perhaps that was the inspiration, but no, I definitely meant a
> CHECKPOINT.
>
> But now you come to mention it, it would be better just to have a
> command that simply wrote a named record to the xlog, so it can
> be searched for later...
>
> COMMENT [IN TRANSACTION LOG] 'starting payroll Feb04'

FWFW,

Oracle's COMMIT syntax has an optional COMMENT specifier which is
used for documenting a distributed transaction. In-doubt
transactions can then be manually committed or aborted by
referencing the transaction associated with the comment. Example:

COMMIT WORK COMMENT 'A complex distributed Tx';

Perhaps there is some common ground between the 2PC implementation
and PITR?

Mike Mascari