Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-29 18:02:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>And more support questions get asked taking time away from development.
>For companies the net balance is probably in postgres' favor on average.
>However, getting individuals to use postgres who have no background
>in databases may be a net minus. Hopefully that won't happen. It will
>be interesting to see what happens to the support lists after the
>windows port is available.

I don't see support questions as being that much of a detractor. Maybe
if it happens, we can start a Pgsql-newbie's list and initially feature
those who provide commercial support for the RDBMS? Understand that
everyone has to start somewhere, and having a fresh perspective on it
from a newbie may help make a better project. We just need a little
more insulation between newbie support and development (though the lack
of such insulation is a general strength of open source software).

I personally think that the way to do this is to create a good set of
documentation which will help newbies with no RDBMS experience begin to
understand the basics of PostgreSQL. For better or worse, MySQL owes
most of their success to the newbies.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers