Re: Postgre and Web Request

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Kilmer C(dot) de Souza" <listas(at)miti(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgre and Web Request
Date: 2004-04-28 18:56:00
Lists: pgsql-general

> (the manual stated the following: there is a main process
> called postmaster. It starts new processes to each different request and
> each different user ... I dont understand very well ... please correct me
> if I`m wrong)
> If all users try to access, through WEB, at same time the database,
> what happens:

Well the likelyhood of 10,000 users accessing the website at the EXACT
same time is highly unlikely (exponentially so). Remember the web is
stateless so each full request is processed and then the connection is
terminated. This means that connection to postgresql will also be
dropped (unless you use something like connection pooling or persistent
connections).

> 1. With the OS? Will it crash?

See above. And actually if you really did have a situation where 10,000
users accessed the site at the exact same time you would need a pretty
large cluster to handle it... regardless of PostgreSQL.

> 2. Will the Postmaster process startup 10.000 diferent processes
> at the same time?

See above.

> 3. What about performance? Is there any peformance downgrade?

Depends on the machine but that would be the case with any database.

> 4. What is the best solution for this problem?

You are asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist at
the database level. You need to spec your hardware requirements overall
and get an firmer understaning of your application requirements. Like I
said, it is highly unlikely that your demands are as high as you mention.

> 5. How many simultaneos requests may the Postmaster open
> withouth decreasing perfomance?

Depends on the machine... ram, amount of hard disks (not space, quantity
of disks) etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake