Row counts for large tables cause temporary hang

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Row counts for large tables cause temporary hang
Date: 2004-04-28 07:00:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dear list,

Just recently downloaded Pgadmin III 1.0.2 for win32, and am using it
against (native) win32 Pg 7.5dev (to get a nicer client interface) - I
am very impressed with Pgadmin, it rocks!

The only gripe I have is the seemingly automatic count on tables as they
are clicked on - this hangs Pgadmin for minutes on one of the big tables
(10 million rows).

By way of a suggestion, I wondered about this logic :

- analyze the table instead of counting it
- if estimated count is < (configurable limit), then count for real,
otherwise use the estimate.

Apologies if you guys have done something like this, and my using 7.5dev
is confusing things :-)

regards

Mark

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-04-28 07:13:16
Subject: Re: Smoother PostgreSQL icons