Re: Question

From: Paul Tillotson <pntil(at)shentel(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2004-04-28 02:43:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Jerry:

I bet you are using Microsoft Access to view the data. From what I
remember, Access prints #Deleted if the record that you try to update
gets deleted (or if the primary key for the record gets updated) while
you are looking at it. In other words, if you are looking at the
record that has

custid = 317, cust_name = 'John P Smith'

and you type "John Q Smith" in the cust_name, field, then ACCESS tries
to do

UPDATE table SET cust_name = 'John Q Smith' WHERE custid = 317

behind your back. If it finds that no rows were updated, then it
concludes that the row with custid = 317 must not exist anymore, and
prints #Deleted in all of the fields for that row. (It may also
periodically check to see that a record is still available, in which
case the #Deleted might appear without you trying to edit anything.)

Does this table ever get updated or deleted from? If so, check who else
is deleting or updating while you are looking at the data. You should
make a careful check to see if this is the case before assuming that
this is a problem with postgres.

Regards,
Paul Tillotson