Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from
Date: 2004-04-28 01:22:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Tim Conrad wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:39:52AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Tim, Folks:
>>

>>>I guess there's a perception that we are "above" the marketeering of MySQL
>>>and Microsoft, where features are promised as much as 6 years before they
>>>appear, or are heavily publicized while still in alpha.   So the most you'd
>>>be likely to get the community to commit to is maintaining a list of
>>>easy-to-read "Major Features in Development".
>>>

>>Actually, I really like this idea.  It could go like:
>>
>>Feature				Lead			Status
>>Improved Memory Use		Jan Wieck		Complete, Committed for 7.5
>>HA M-S Replication		Jan Wieck		Alpha testing
>>PITR					Simon Riggs	Early Development
>>Tablespaces			Gavin Sherry	Late Development
>>Integrated pg_autovacuum	Matthew O'Con.	Planning
>>Server Clustering		None			Developer Needed
>>etc.
>>
>>As well as giving the press something to look at, this would give programmers
>>and corporate sponsors an idea of where their time/money would be of use.
>>And it could put to bed the myth that we're not constantly improving.
>>

>This suggestion would be good. Something that's not super-detailed
>and not super-technical. Also stuff that's on the 'todo' list that
>is certianly long-range goals as well - just so people are aware
>that it's something that the 'group' is aware of as well as a need.

The big issue I see with this is maintenance.  Ideally, it would be
handled in a DB-driven web app and maybe even tied to the TODO (when an
item is listed as committed, the item gets the  leading - in the TODO?).

I would be happy to contribute programming time, but I would need to
leave the maintenance to others.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers