Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,
Date: 2004-04-27 20:14:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I know both. :-).
>
> Seriously - I'd like to raise my voice in favor of installing plpgsql in
> template1 by default. I haven't heard any good reason not to (nor even a
> bad reason).

If we install plPGSQL by default, we should install any other pl
language that was configured at runtime by default as well. This
includes plPerl, plTCL, and plPython.

Of course only if they were compiled in, but sense they are a part of
the core distribution we shouldn't favor one over the other.

Personally, plpgSQL is only useful to those who are coming from Oracle.
People are more likely to be comfortable with plPython or plPerl than
plpgSQL.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake