Re: composite type and assignment in plpgsql

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>,pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: composite type and assignment in plpgsql
Date: 2004-04-27 19:20:51
Lists: pgsql-general
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:12:13 -0700
>

>>>	thisSession := ( ''t'', md5( now( ) || rand( ) ) );
>>>

>>- md5 takes TEXT as an argument, not a numeric type
>>

>Since it works you surely fixed my code but this should't be an issue
>since I tried
>
>test1=# select md5( now( ) || random( ) );
>               md5
>----------------------------------
> 154e804967451148bba5f28e044be828
>(1 row)
>
>and
>
>test1=# select md5( random( ) );
>               md5
>----------------------------------
> 31313f537b69d5ffe61be024a40b807e
>(1 row)
>
>and they worked.

Yeah, they worked for me too. I was just looking at the docs and saw the
TEXT argument.........

>and yeah I messed up remembering mySQL code and wrote rand( ) inspite
>of random( )
>
>Can't user composite type be initialized in a shortest way?
>eg. ( ( ), ( ), , ( ), , , ( ), ...)
>I thought they could. I saw a similar syntax somewhere in the docs. Am
>I daydreaming?

I don't know.....

>One more thing about the first example presented in this page:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/plpgsql-expressions.html
>
>I just tried
>create or replace function GetSessionID( integer )
>	returns tSession as '
>declare
>	thisSession tSession;
>begin
>	thisSession.ty_Found := ''t'';
>	thisSession.ty_Session := now( );
>	return thisSession;
>end;
>' language plpgsql;
>
>and it returns execution time not "plan" time. Does "plan" time is
>strictly referred to SQL statements?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and
now() return the start time of the current transaction, would that be
the "plan" time? The timeofday() function returns the "wall clock" time
and advances during transactions. I think that this would be the
"execution" time.

Hope that helps
Ron