Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding
Date: 2004-04-27 17:59:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe wrote:

>I think the answer to all of this would require a lot of code being
>touched to either make it case fold, costing performance, or the
>replacement of the default lower cased catalog with upper cased catalog.

I'm not the one to decide, but it seems to me that this is not a good
time to enter such a major change, and may never be. How terrible will
it be if the system is per server (i.e. - one given to initdb?).

>A more comprehensive solution, one which allowed switching from upper
>folding to lower folding to no folding, to case insensitive, or some
>subset of those possibilities results in
>
>a: slower backend performance, due to folding case for system catalogs
>b: touching a helluva lot of backend code to make it possible to fold up
>or down.

Well, if it's only the shared catalogs that are affected, this may not
be such a big problem (very hopeful tone?)

>I'm not 100% sure on this all, but that seems to be the point Tom and I
>came to in our discussion, and neither of the two solutions seemed very
>good at the time.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh