Re: Do we prefer software that works or software

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do we prefer software that works or software
Date: 2004-04-26 17:20:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Shachar,
>

>>Now, I'm intending to do the best I can on my end. This does have a
>>pretty heavy cost. It means that the OLE DB driver will parse in details
>>each query, and perform replacements on the query text. This is bug
>>prone, difficult, hurts performance, and just plain wrong from a
>>software design perspective. The current drift of wind, however, means
>>that the PostgreSQL steering commite seems to prefer having a lesser
>>quality driver to seeing ugly uppercase.
>>

>Hey, now wait a minute.   As far as I can tell, you've heard only from Tom
>Lane on the steering committee (I may have missed some, though, I've been
>sick)

Exactly. Of the people I heard from, the wind was against.

>   Unless the 5 of us take a vote, Tom Lane speaks for Tom Lane, not for
>Core.    Also, usually this list or Patches determines by consensus what gets
>in; the Core only gets involved in very unusual cases.

That's why we are holding an open thread on the "how" in "hackers". I'm
assuming that once the "how" is sufficiently resolved, and the
implications understood, everyone can make a better decision on the "do
we at all".

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh