Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Rob <pgadmin(at)itsbeen(dot)sent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-25 21:29:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>>Rob wrote:
>>
>>>But I think there is room to go further, I don't see any reason why
>>>that default install can't include example DBs,
>>
>>One reason is that a useful example database would likely have a
>>download footprint of 10 MB or more.  Having this in the default
>>download would not be appreciated by many people.  Of course having
>>some example database available at all would be a good idea, but then
>>as a separate download.
>

> Here is a little psql script I wrote to populate a table with random
> data.
[snip]

Right, I have done the same in the past using random character data (it
even had random lengths of strings in the different fields) and in other
cases random dictionary words. I was thinking something with more
structure, like an customer/product/invoice db with random records that
link up to each other properly.

I will work on something but am wondering if there are any freely
available schemas around (for any system, I know Sybase has a book
publishing one that they use in their example queries and is provided
with their install, "pubs2" I believe) that might be good for use in a
more extended sample db.

Are there any platforms (outside of MS Windows) that don't include a
word list or dictionary these days?