Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 20:05:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Hi!

Josh Berkus wrote:
>>>* Recommended replication solution (erserver?)
>>>* Recommended full-text search solution (tsearch?)
>>>* Recommended GUI / web frontend (PGAdmin / phpPgAdmin)
>>>* Drivers: ODBC, JDBC, whatever
>>>* PostGIS
>>>* Banners to put on the website
>>>* A description of what to find in the contrib dir
>
> I'm really nervous about pointing to "recommended" solutions where we have
> several.   I'd rather have links to all mature projects in that category.

Okay, s/recommended/mature/

> Replication is actually several different problems demanding several different
> solutions.   So no one replication solution is going to cover all needs,
> ever.

Okay, but currently *the* replication solution that's linked from every page of
postgresql.org is pgreplication. Which is either dead or just stinks like one.

> For GUIs, we have an embarassment of them, and I would not want to be
> responsible for telling anyone their project is "not recommended".  That's an
> effective way of making a lot of enemies in the OSS community.   Instead, I
> might suggest listing all OSS GUIs in order of popularity -- which still lets
> PGAdmin & phpPGAdmin float to the top, but without telling Xpg or PGAccess to
> take a flying leap into the void.

Who will define "popularity"?

Of course, it is possible to just create a page for all the GUIs, but it will
require discipline or else it will degenerate to
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/related.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/interfaces.html