Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 15:00:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?" I don't know there is
>anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

MySQL became popular at my university when the students discovered they
could install it on their personal computers. Just the exposure for
personal development and trial is enough to win a following.

Win32 installations are a big deal. With win32 machines outnumbering
*nix operating systems by more than 10 to 1 (more on personal
computers), the "unix only" restriction reduced the number of possible
people testing and developing with it by at least that amount. Most
developers I know work primarily on Windows workstations and asking for
a machine to run Postgresql on unix is just not practical. With the
win32 port, they can run it on their computers and at least test or
evaluate their projects.

I and a number of my friends are exceptionally please at the progress of
the win32 port. Thank you!