Re: Missing OID rant

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing OID rant
Date: 2004-04-22 20:06:20
Lists: pgsql-general

John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

> Tom Lane said:

>> Yup, this is on the TODO list, and has been for awhile:
>>
>> * Flush cached query plans when their underlying catalog data changes
>
> Is the query plan cached for the life of the session, or the life of the
> cache/database/postmaster session?

DB connection is the lifetime of PL/pgSQL cached plans.

> Isn't removing the plan from the cache, and marking objects invalid two
> separate although related issues?

It is.

>>> I don't know, but cannot believe that it would be hard to implement
>>> this,
>>
>> Step right up ...
>
> Believe you me, you don't want my code - it's been quite a few years since
> I've done any C programming, a patch I produced might set Postgres back 5
> years!!

Well, that's what I do with French people, I convince them that it hurts
less if they rather talk English or German instead of me uttering
something in their language.

> BTW, I was only highlighting the issue because the missing OID message bit
> me in the ass again today, and I didn't realise that it existed as an
> outstanding todo item.
>
> I guess that there are other missing features like exception handling and
> nested transactions which are more important and need attention more
> urgently...

Exactly, and because of that we want you to do the easy stuff with the
cache invalidation, so that we have the time to think about the others.

Jan

> John Sidney-Woollett

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #