slow seqscan

From: Edoardo Ceccarelli <eddy(at)axa(dot)it>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: slow seqscan
Date: 2004-04-16 23:18:42
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have already posted a similar topic months ago, that time I had a
strange behaviour checking response time of seqscan after a vacuum, but
now has happened again in another situation.
I have a database used only with search queries with only one table that
holds about 450.000/500.000 records.
The table is well indexed so that most of the queries are executed with
index scan but since there is a big text field in the table (360chars)
some search operation ends up with seq scans.
This table is not written during normal operation: twice per week there
is a batch program that insert about 35.000 records and updates another

this morning, after that batch has been executed, the database started
responding really slowly to seq scan  queries, also after a "vacuum full
analize" things didn't get better.

I am using version 7.3 do I need to upgrade to 7.4? also, I was thinking
about setting this table in a kind of  "read-only" mode to improve
performance, is this possible?

Thank you for your help
Edoardo Ceccarelli

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Matt DentDate: 2004-04-17 23:29:28