Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-26 13:00:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> wrote:

> --On 24. Februar 2010 16:01:02 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> One objection to this is that it's not very clear to the user when
>> pg_stop_backup has finished with actual work and is just waiting for the
>> archiver, ie when is it safe to hit control-C?  Maybe we should emit a
>> "backup done, waiting for archiver to complete" notice before entering
>> the sleep loop.
>
> +1 for this. This hint would certainly help to recognize the issue
> immediately (or at least point to a possible cause).

So looking at the code we *do* print something in pg_stop_backup(). We
just wait 60s before doing so. I propose we shorten that to 10s.

Secondarily, the message printed at this time and when the process is
finished doesn't actually give the user any information on how much
longer to expect the process to take.

It would be nice to say what the target archive log we're waiting on
is and then periodically print out what the last archived log file
was. Or perhaps just do the arithmetic and periodically print how many
megabytes of log files remain to be archived.

--
greg