Re: default_language

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default_language
Date: 2010-01-24 23:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I would prefer having the option, but removing it completely does at
> least solve the bizarre inconsistency I've highlighted.

I don't see it as much of an inconsistency. The whole point of DO is
to be convenient, whereas CREATE FUNCTION is DDL for defining what
your database looks like and it should be well defined in perpetuity.

However it's also possible will write DO blocks into their application
code in which case it might be preferable not to have a
default_language GUC which would have to be set correctly for the code
to work.

--
greg