Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-10-31 12:11:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 10:12 -0700, Greg Stark wrote:
>> While i agree this looks nicer I wonder what it does to things like
>> excel/gnumeric/ooffice auto-recognizing table layouts and importing
>> files. I'm not sure our old format was so great for this so maybe this
>> is actually an improvement I'm asking for. But as long as we're
>> changing the format... It would at at least be good to test the
>> behaviour
>
> What exactly are you referring to here?

run something like this:

$ psql
stark=> \o /tmp/s
stark=> select generate_series(1,10),generate_series(1,5);
$ gnumeric /tmp/s&
$ ooffice /tmp/s&
$ kspread /tmp/s&

With the 8.4 formatting gnumeric automatically guesses that | is the
separator and formats the speadsheet quite reasonably. Open Office
gets confused and opens the word processor, but if you do "insert
sheet from file" and manually deselect the space and semicolon
delimiters and put | as an "other" delimiter then it looks like it
should work. I don't have kspread handy.

Does gnumeric still autorecognize the new formats? Do the newline
indicators in 8.4 mess up gnumeric? Are the new ones better or worse?

This hasn't been a top priority in the past and the ReST discussion
seemed to end up concluding that we shouldn't bother if we can't make
it perfect. I'm not sure I agree with that, but in any case I think as
long as we're changing the format we may as well check to see what the
status is.

--
greg