Re: BUG #4939: error query result

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, limaozeng <limaozeng(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4939: error query result
Date: 2009-07-24 05:28:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I think the only thing we could do about it is downgrade the implicit
> casts to "name", which seems like a cure worse than the disease ---
> it'd interfere with searches in the system catalogs.

We could try to avoid user-visible functions like current_user
returning "name" data types. If no user-visible functions returned
"name" then this wouldn't happen unless people were actually querying
catalog tables.

that would mean changing the return type of these functions:

 getpgusername
 current_user
 session_user
 current_database
 current_schema
 getdatabaseencoding
 pg_client_encoding
 pg_encoding_to_char
 pg_get_userbyid

The only downside I see is that it means a strdup when these functions
are called which might be annoying. However now that I look a number
of them are actually already calling namein anyways. Are they used
internally in places that expect a name?

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf