Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 22:29:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'm also not prepared to push a large and unstable feature into the tree
> on the hope that it will get fixed.

I didn't have the impression it had any known problems, Simon and
others spent a lot of time testing it already. The improvements Heikki
was asking for were simplifications or cleanup type changes and every
time he asked for something Simon had it done within a day or two.

The problem is I think this will *always* be a "large unstable
feature" just because it's large. If we aren't happy having it in the
tree for alpha releases then there's no circumstance we'll ever be
happy having it in a real release. I think it's a *lot* better having
it in the alpha releases when if we find problems we can revert it or
fix the problems than dropping it at the last second before the betas
when it has to be perfect and there's no second chances.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf