Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 11:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Waiting until September for the first CommitFest seems like a really
> bad idea.   We already have almost 40 patches on the wiki page, and
> there are some that haven't been added yet: I suspect we will have
> over 50 in another week, and maybe closer to 60.

I would like to propose a different strategy. Instead of always
tackling all the smaller patches and leaving the big patches for last,
I would suggest we start with Hot Standby.

In fact I would suggest as Hot Standby has already gotten a first pass
review that we consider applying it on day 1. That gets it into
everyone's development trees so they can see any suspicious code or
effects it has in their peculiar environments. It may not be perfect
but if we apply it now there's plenty of time to make improvements.

Then we can have a regular commitfest a month or so later. Hopefully
any followon changes to Hot Standby would actually get into that
commitfest if they're relatively minor.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf