Re: Plan for feature freeze?

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Plan for feature freeze?
Date: 2004-04-30 23:13:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian said:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> No no ... the date isn't floating on Win32 ... the date is floating on
one of the major features (PITR, 2PC, etc) ... if Win32 happens to be the
first major feature, so be it, but it is not contigent on Win32 ...

> So you are floating the entire thing. I am tired of discussing this.
You call the freeze and when it is a disaster, you can take the credit.

> I am not worrying about any freeze date anymore. You freeze whenever
you want to.

> Floating a freeze data has always been a failure. Let's watch it happen
again.

ISTM the issue is "what freeze date is the sweet spot, that doen't hold us
up endlessly but allows maximum chance to get in some of the features we
badly need?"

My previous suggestion of mid June was based on my impressionistic
balancing those 2 factors.

Andrew Sullivan is right, though, about the bad press we would get from
missing shipping the Win32 port - it would do a lot of damage after it has
been talked up so much.

Andrew