Re: Access - ODBC - serial problem...

From: Richard Combs <rncombs(at)covad(dot)net>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>,pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access - ODBC - serial problem...
Date: 2004-04-08 20:31:49
Lists: pgsql-odbc
 From what I know, SELECT @@IDENTITY, is a Transact SQL call that is a
function of SQL server.  I think what is happening here, is Access is
making the call to the server and generating the call.  Just an educated
guess, but how would the ODBC driver know to make this call after an
insert unless it kept track of the table schema for every table.  Seems
like more of a higher level function, Access learns the schema for the
tables you have open, then makes the proper call.  Of course being MS
Access working with MS SQL might have something to do with it.

Tha'ts one of the reasons I wound up using the function/stored procedure
solution.  The ODBC driver knows how to handle functions, and my front
end doesn't have to know anything but how to put the proper pararmeters
in and read them on return, after making the proper call.

Again, I'm not an Access person, so I can't pretend to know how to do
this through Access tables.  It does work great when programming in
Delphi though, or for that matter wrapping your SQL code in a higher
level language.