Re: Question on comment

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on comment
Date: 2000-10-18 05:02:57
Lists: pgsql-docs
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com> writes:
> Hm, OK.  How are the access rights to this table when 'comment on' is
> used?

Use the source, Luke ... a quick scan of command/comment.c shows that it
allows the owner of an object to comment on that object, and no one else.
Access rights to pg_description itself don't matter.

The general practice in Postgres is that system tables are accessible
read-only to everyone, but are writable only via specialized commands
(like COMMENT ON for pg_description).  The database superuser is not
so restricted, and can shoot himself in the foot with abandon ;-)

> I remember trying earlier to use this table to store comments, but
> discovered each user had to have write access, even to add comments on
> their own tables.  Is this problem fixed?

An explicit "INSERT INTO pg_description" would be treated that way.