Re: Solaris port status

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: "Romero, Edward J(dot), CTR, OSD-PA&E" <Edward(dot)Romero(dot)ctr(at)osd(dot)mil>,Hiroshi Saito <saito(at)inetrt(dot)skcapi(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris port status
Date: 2004-04-06 21:11:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dear Edward Romero,

Romero, Edward J., CTR, OSD-PA&E wrote:

>Mr. Enrici:
>
>Please reference the following link:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg03176.html .

I remember this one :) It was the first time I got it up & (a little)
running ;)

>I am having considerable trouble getting wx(Windows, Widgets, GTK) to
>compile on my Solaris 9 system, so that I may then install pgAdmin III.  I
>have tried the latest stable release of wxGTK (2.4.2),

forget about 2.4.x releases, they are not ok for pgAdmin3 and do not
permit a correct build of it.

>as well as one of the
>latest CVS snapshots (20040330) as well as the latest snapshot available
>from the pgadmin download mirrors (20031010-7).

I never got the 20031010-7 to build on Solaris 9... So, forget about it
too :(

> The instructions on the
>pgAdmin webpage state that there is a  supported version available on the
>download mirrors, except that version's timestamp is before the date of the
>referenced archive URL, leading me to believe that it cannot be used for my
>purposes, as well as the fact that it will not compile.  My question, then,
>is where can I find updated instructions and applications that I need to get
>pgAdmin III fully installed on my Solaris 9 system?

I didn't get much time to give to solaris port although I think it's an
important thing to get it running well. Hiroshi Saito got something
running more recently and I think he can help you and may be provide to
you its Solaris 9 build. As far as I can remember, he had problems with
locales but nothing which stop pgAdmin3 from running well in a C locale
(am I telling the truth Hiroshi ?).
Note that Solaris 9 is not actually a "supported" OS version for
pgAdmin3... It's just an under development one :)

At the moment, I prefer to concentrate my efforts on a good Debian
build. I'll come back on Solaris port as soon as I have more time.

Hiroshi, can you tell me more about your port status on Solaris ? Do you
need help for packaging things (I mean provide a pkgadd compatible format) ?

Regards,
Raphaël
P.S. Please CC to the list, you will get more chance to get a rapid and
better answer ;)

pgadmin-hackers by date

Subject: Protest against software patents