Re: what is lslowing me down? JDBC or Postgresql itself?

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Jeff Amiel <jeff(at)amiel(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is lslowing me down? JDBC or Postgresql itself?
Date: 2004-04-05 21:56:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Jeff Amiel wrote:

> Why is this happening?  Is the jdbc driver the limiting factor?  Is it
> the database?  Can anyone give me any suggestions to troubleshoot?

Check the CPU usage of the client vs. server. Also check I/O on the
server. This may show you the bottleneck directly. If there's no obvious
bottleneck, you may be limited by your network; can you put the client
and server on the same machine to eliminate this?

 From your description you are doing many small transactions and
throwing more concurrent connections at it doesn't improve your
throughput. I'd hazard a guess that you'll probably find you are I/O
bound on the server as the backend will be doing a lot of fsyncs (or
equivalent).

What throughput do you get running the queries via psql?

-O