Re: [patch] 7.4 initdb - drop trailing slash from $PGDATA

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] 7.4 initdb - drop trailing slash from $PGDATA
Date: 2004-01-19 14:09:45
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane said:
>> Jari Aalto wrote:
>>> I made a mistake while running 7.4 under W2k/Cygwin, so perhaps the
>>> patch would give user a little more comfort.
>
>> I don't see how. Please explain.
>
> CVS-tip initdb seems to be written to suppress any trailing slash in
> the PGDATA path already, so this discussion may be moot.

Yes (except that leading slashes are not suppressed). That was deliberate,
for the sake of simplicity and clarity. It has just occurred to me though
that this might have unintended (bad) consequences on Windows if PGDATA is
set to the root of a mapped drive, like "I:/". I will think about that a
little and submit a patch if necessary.

cheers

andrew