Re: Relational DB's & pics - a long business-related question

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Eric Matthew Finnin <emf(dot)storage(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Relational DB's & pics - a long business-related question
Date: 2006-07-14 14:29:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:35 AM, Eric Matthew Finnin wrote:

> So I'm wondering, what are the pieces that need to be put together to
> get it this to work? I assume this would involve developing an
> (internal) website that accesses a database of information and
> pictures. Would Postgresql be an ideal program for this? MS Access
> is ideal for data entry by people who are familiar with spreadsheets,
> but have no knowledge of SQL. Is there an extension or software
> related to Postgres that is ideal for data entry for people used to
> visual/mouse-based computing? Any suggestions are welcome.

I would suggest looking into existing web-based e-commerce solutions.
Plenty are open source and I'm sure have a "inventory management"
view for specifying product attributes and and pictures. For example,
Drupal has an e-commerce module:

http://drupal.org/project/ecommerce

Also opentaps (http://www.opentaps.org/) has a product management
module which I pretty sure supports pictures. Check out the online demo.

Both solutions are open source and support PostgreSQL.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL