Re: disabling seq scans

From: Sean Shanny <shannyconsulting(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: disabling seq scans
Date: 2004-04-01 21:21:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

See answers in-line....

Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes wrote:

>Yes, that is what I thought 1st...
>But, since we're using pooled connections, we must be extra
>careful and ensure all connections have the enable_seqscan
>reset to its default.
>So, the main question is:
>
>Do the pooling system resets the "enable_seqscan" variable
>when the connections are delivered to the clients or we
>*must* do it ourselves?

We use pooling as well and there is NO logic in the pool that would
reset anything on a connection. It is up to the user of the connection
to set it back to an acceptable state, hence the call to set it back to
true prior to returning the connection back to the pool.

>Another issue: when enable_seqscan is false, I found that
>the sequential scanning is performed normally (as in
>"select count (*) from <table>") but have them any performance
>issues?

Not sure I understand you question. I set enable_indexscan=false in my
code as I am working with a 350GB DB with some tables having 100 million
rows. With the hardware we have it is sometimes faster to do a full
table scan the bounce around with indexes.

>Last one... This time, specifically to the java side: what
>do you think about adding new methods, say, setEnableSeqScan(boolean)
>and getEnableSeqScan() to our (by our I mean
>postgres) drivers?

This would be up the folks that write the code, I am just a user. :-)