Re: PB: Initdb failure

From: "Eric J(dot) Schwarzenbach" <Eric(dot)Schwarzenbach(at)wrycan(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu, jp(dot)jacoupy(at)caramail(dot)com
Subject: Re: PB: Initdb failure
Date: 2004-04-01 17:33:54
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
I just want to say that both myself and my coworker are seeing this same
error:

FATAL:  semctl(17,
16,
SETVAL,536) failed:
Invalid argument

We are following the Tishler readme, and I've gotten it to work with 7.4.1
(and still can--it's only 7.4.2 that gives me this failure; though my coworker still gets this
error after downgrading to 7.4.1), and we are NOT adding a trailing slash to the
data dir para to initdb. My coworker is using /var/postgresql/data --I'm follow the instruction
with a modification to /user/local/pgsql/data (which I get to work in 7.4.1--I really don't think
it matters).

We're using the latest cygipc available through the cygwin setup, though my coworker has tried
reverting to the previous version--again, no dice.

Does anyone have any idea what the interaction could be here where a call to
semctl should fail with a bad argument?

Any help would be appreciated...

Eric Schwarzenbach

> Hey jean-phillipe!
>
> Actually, it looks like the issue might be much simpler than you
> realize. First, is the output you're getting a cut/paste? If so, don't
> put an ending forward slash in the command to create the database.
> Follow the instructions to the letter:
>
> $ initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
>
> NO ENDING SLASH.
>
> Second, you obviously are NOT following the instructions as written in
> the URL you provided, as the path you show is to the older
> /usr/share/postgresql/data, NOT the new /var/postgresql/data (which is
> clearly stated in step #2).
>
> If this was not the issue, try shutting down CygIPC, deleting all of
> its related files in /tmp, then fire it back up and try again.
>
> From the path you've used and issues you're seeing, I was curious.
> Have you installed/used PostgreSQL under Cygwin in the past? If so, be
> sure to re-read the installation steps, as with CygIPC becoming a
> proper Cygwin package, and PostgreSQL moving up to v7.4, there have
> been some basic changes in the way the install/setup are done. Minor,
> but can throw you if you're used to the older way.
>
> Hope this helps.

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: Jon MountjoyDate: 2004-04-03 14:07:32