Re: initdb error

From: "Greg B(dot) Hill" <gregoryhill597(at)netscape(dot)net>
To: Eric(dot)Schwarzenbach(at)wrycan(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb error
Date: 2004-03-31 17:47:19
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

When I had this problem I experienced more or less the following series
of events - this was awhile ago so my apologies
for the lack of exact detail (i.e. which argument, which range of vals,
etc.).

1) try initdb and it fails (for some other config error than the semctl
invalid argument error).
2) fix the orig problem but now it fails because of the semctl invalid
argument error.
3) each time retry, one of the semctl args bumps up higher and higher
each time, and the error repeats itself, in fact
the problematic arg gets more and more out of range.
4) finally i decided to try rebooting, wondering if that would wipe
whatever memory the semctl was using to determine
the initial value for its args.
5) this worked - so for me, the solution was, if initdb fails for any
reason, correct the problem, but then reboot before
reattempting.

It would be nicer of course to know where semctl is storing this
information and be able to change it there, etc. etc. etc.

hth, Greg